Whelk 'Scungilli' Marinara
Scungilli is Italian for whelk. Full of such wonderful texture and flavor, its meat is dense, chewy, and quite sweet. This dish is prepared for a holiday spread, especially for the “Feast of the Seven Fishes” on Christmas Eve.
· 14 oz whelks, sliced 1/4 inch thick
· 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 5 tbsp olive oil
· 14 oz canned tomatoes, drained and sieved
· 8 oz tomato paste
· 1/2 tsp salt
· 1 tsp rosemary
· 1 bay leaf, crushed
· 1/2 tsp crushed, dried, red chilis
1. Brown garlic, onion and scungilli in olive oil.
2. Add tomatoes, paste and salt. Simmer for five minutes then add rest of ingredients and cook for ten minutes over a medium heat.
3. Serve with a few slices of warm baguette or use as a sauce for pasta.