CFSB Board Meeting Minutes - June 9, 2017

Chris Voss opened the meeting June 9 2017 in the Harbor Classroom.

In attendance: Michael Harrington, Chris Voss, Bernard Friedman, Kim Selkoe, Mike McCorkle, Jeff Maassen

 

1. Ventura Shellfish Enterprise – Bernard’s update:

August – the VSE will be meeting to decide where the leasing sites will be

July – there will be a scoping meeting to prep the august meeting

Prior to July Prep meeting – VSE plans to contact Voss and other SB fishermen about siting.

So, we need to figure out our advice on siting.  Discussion: the most impacted fishery is halibut. CA Trawlers will submit their own recommendation on siting. In shore of 1 mile is preferred. But need to also plan for how fishing boats will have to navigate around the site, or maybe through it if there can be a channel through it.

We can make a map to specify some preferred options. Kim noted that she can easily get the digital files used by the UCSB team that submitted an analysis on where to site the farm, so that we can easily modify the digital maps with our preferred layout. Chris will work with Kim to do that. McCorkle will use his own approach.

McCorkle noted that a the last meeting on cost, they showed its going to be way more expensive for entry than people assumed.

 

2. Saturday Market

With CFSB’s name on everything, we need to double check liability. Harrington has upped the CFSB liability insurance in effect now for CFSB, including directors insurance.

Used to be 10% of earnings as a market fee. Probably need a different system if money is regularly collected that doesn’t require so much book keeping. Regardless,

if CFSB gets more involved in the Sat. Market, we will have to handle enforcement issues with the bylaws, and disputes.  What are the vehicles for enforcement? Penalties? Grace period time?

One way to avoid price-related disputes, if and when there is competition in the market with the same product, is to negotiate a base price.

General conclusion was to avoid getting too involved in the Sat. Market. Kim will work on some options for a structure for the market oversight that takes that into account.

 

3. Status report on Lobster Commission

On consent calendar because no opposition. When signed into law, Chris Voss will go south to try to get any skeptical fishermen onboard. January 2018 starts a 60 day window to coordinate the state wide referendum.

Need to amend the basement value of the fee - $0.25.  Prefer a lower number, $0.10, not just because it will be more palatable to fleet. Having too much income will create problems of how to spend it. With ten cents, total income will be eighty grand. Enough to get by on as it starts out. Need to set very specific goals for spending the money wisely that have real returns.

Protecting access is a top selling point.

Could also negotiate an insurance binder for a group plan

Work to get out front of whale entanglement and domoic acid and FMP issues.

 

4. Bay Foundation engagement – pitch by Jeff Maassen

Bay Foundation has conducted a successful purple sea urchin eradication in Palos Verdes. With volunteers they dumped reds and purples in deep water. Now they are smashing purples with hammers. They have shown lasting success.

Jeff took them on a 2 day trip to Talcott off Rosa. They found some good candidate sites, high reefs with steep drop offs all around to create a bounded area to clear urchin from. These areas had lots of tiny purple urchins.

Bay foundation and other research has found that you get higher gonad yields from target urchins when the kelp ecosystem is healthy.

Jeff wanting to do a pilot project and wants an endorsement for the pilot.  Have 6-8 boats in this harbor ready to help with or without the support.  Tom of the Bay Foundation needs an endorsement from a fishing port association, Urchin Commission or a dive association. That would help in getting grant money to do the science – collect data on baselines, site characterizations and follow ups to measure success.

One case for doing purple urchin removals is that the MPAs don’t benefit the urchin fishery like they might for other fisheries through spillover. Instead, MPAs bring down the populations of urchins inside reserves.  We need to deal with managing ecosystem services for the urchin fishery outside the reserves.

Urchin Commission had no response when Jeff contacted them in November about them supporting this effort. Jeff asked also for them to reimbursement for gas he used on the trip to Talcott. Chuck Cavanaugh said he liked it but then didn’t follow up. 

CFSB’s policy is normally to follow the lead of the urchin commission. Suggested Jeff try calling Goldenberg directly.  He can’t because of the bylaws on protocol.

However, if urchin commission is not responding on this topic for unclear reasons, we can still move forward. Those in attendance agreed that CFSB can broadly endorse the partnership of scientists and fishermen working on pilot projects to address the management of purple urchin. We would like to encourage Jeff and the Bay Foundation to continue moving forward, and show us a draft study plan or grant proposal so we can see the details before we fully endorse this specific project.

 

5. Quota transfer

Handling the PR around the quota transfer may take some care. Want to keep good relationships with other ports to the north, and within SB for folks who are critical of TNC.

There are “impact investors” out there, Kim met some at the Seafood Summit in Seattle last week, who are interested in covering the financial costs of groundfish boats switching from long line to pots A way to deal with “bycatch” issues and quota limitations.  Pots need a longer ~85’ boat and our permits from TNC are coming in for small size. And also need better weather and sometimes waste the fish if can’t pull up in time.  Bounty Hunter fishing pots off San Nic getting great return though.

Kate Kauer from TNC has sent a new version of the quota transfer agreement. We need to scrutinize and send any feedback back in to get this deal finalize.

 

 --End meeting--